THE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CONTRACTORS AND LICENSING
TIPS FOR HOMEOWNERS
- Ask to see the contractor’s plastic pocket license and a photo identification.
- Verify the license and its status on the CSLB website: www.cslb.ca.gov or toll-free automated line: 800.321.CSLB (2752).
- By law, anyone who contracts for or bids on a construction project valued at $500 or more (total labor and materials) must be licensed by CSLB.
- To qualify for a license, a contractor must pass a criminal background check, verify four years of journey-level experience in the trade, pass both a trade and license law examination, and post a license bond.
- Contractors are required by law to put their CSLB license number in all advertisements.
- Unlicensed operators are required to say they are not licensed in their advertisements.
TIPS FOR OWNER-BUILDERS
If you choose not to hire licensed contractors, use this checklist to help you comply with your responsibilities:
- Contact your local city hall or county finance office to find out if you need to obtain a business license.
- Contact the state Employment Development Department and Franchise Tax Board for instruction on registering as an employer.
- Contact the Internal Revenue Service for information on registering as an employer.
- Check with your insurance company about purchasing workers’ compensation coverage, and any need to increase your liability coverage.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contractors State License Board
P.O. Box 26000
Sacramento, CA 95826-0026